a few flimsy's

It's been an emotional couple of weeks for me... my son was hired by the US Forest Service as a wildland fire fighter and will be stationed in the Mammoth Lakes area in California.  He will be gone the entire fire season with an expected return in November.  He has helped so many people around the world and I feel like I have said goodbye to him too many times.  Now if any of you have been watching the news you'll know that the fires have already started in California and it looks like a beasty, scary year for forest fires.  I pray for his safety and safe return home.  He and his girlfriend, Sammi are driving out and she'll be flying back.  Here they are this morning getting ready to leave...the quilty saying "Road to California" has taken on new meaning for me.

 despite all the activity I have managed to get a few quilts made and they are ready for quilting
This is from "Quilts, bibs, blankies...Oh my!" from Kim Schaefer, I think it turned out adorable, I have a yellow border to sew on yet and some eyes to embroider and then it will be ready for quilting.
 My second flimsy is a quilt I completed awhile back, it's a free online pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop by Rachel Griffith called Full Swing.  I had some great black/white varigated thread, but it continued to shred on my longarm, so I gave up that idea and will quilt it with either black or white thread, I haven't decided yet....
 And this last one is a stash busting quilt...I found going through the fabric was just like turning pages of a photo album, it's funny how I can recall what I made and who it was for with each fabric....and some of the fabrics are over 15 years old!!! It was a real trip down memory lane.  I have way tooo many scrap fabrics and will need to make a couple of quilts before I even put a dent into my stash, but that's a good thing :)

 
And a picture of my birthday present to myself! I've watched Lisa Calle's Divide and Design and I'm definitely going to give it a go! And I can't wait to use my thread! :)
 


 
Hope you all have a good week.  Thanks for stopping by!

Comments